[VHFcontesting] Inverters for rovers

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Mon Apr 14 20:02:38 EDT 2008

Hi Steve,

My setup is pretty simple.  The only thing I need the inverter for is my
rotator, and charging my laptop battery.  My inverter makes a bit of
noise on 6, but it's not terrible.  The laptop power supply is much worse...

Anyway, my work around is this:  I only charge the laptop when in motion
[I don't operate while driving].  And the inverter is only powered up
when turning the antennas.  I added a simple power switch to the
inverter.  When I need to turn the antennas I flip the switch to power
the inverter, turn the knob on the rotor control, and when the antennas
stop I flip the switch back to off.  Simple, yet effective.

My inverter is an OLD radio shack 150 watt model.  This powers my AR40
rotator with no problem.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300 which is very quiet when running from
the internal battery.  But the charger is a bit noisy.

Yes, I would love to have a nice generator.  But, I often operate from
parks and other settings where excessive noise would be a problem.  I
hear the Honda's are very quiet, but as someone else pointed out they
are also very expensive.

73
Dan
--