[VHFcontesting] Sable Island CY0X

Wa3hmk at aol.com Wa3hmk at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 12:24:38 EDT 2008

Hello all:

     I will be travelling to Sable island as part of the CY0X group in late
June.  We will be QRV on 6 and 2 meters.  One of the objectives of the 2 meter
station is to explore and tropo or sporadic E paths across the North Atlantic
to EU.
    The 2 meter station will have a KW and an antenna of at least 14.4 dbd
gain.  The radio will be an FT987D (with preamp).  We would like to have a cw
beacon on the air as much as possible.
     I would like to synch the cw transmissions with a clock (e.g., transmit
the first half of each minute, listen the last half, transmit the first and
third 15 secs, listen the 2d and 4th, etc.).  To do this I will have to bring a
laptop and synch it to a time source, which I believe I can do with
Dimension4.  I don't know how often we can access the internet, but expect it will be at
least once a day.
     Here are my questions:

    1.  What cw program is recommended for use with an FT-897D in this
fashion?  Can this cw program be set up in a beacon mode, linked to the computer
clock, to transmit in a given time sequence?
     2. What connection(s) must be made to the FT-897D to accomplish this?
( I am assuming that the 897 ptt output can be used to trigger the
amp/preamp.)

     Anyone with experience doing something similar to this ccan contact me
directly.
Thanks and 73.  Chris W3CMP

listings at AOL Autos.