[VHFcontesting] APRS by Internet for all Contestants in June VHF Contest!

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 18:56:36 EDT 2008

The rules for the June 2008 VHF contest allow the Rover APRS locations
that appear on the internet to be used by all contestants, not just
the assisted categories:

3.3.7. Rovers are permitted to use APRS. Rovers using APRS transmit
only their call sign and position. Any station, regardless of their
operating class, may access rover APRS data directly or via the
Internet.

from:

< http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2008/june-vhf.html >

This is in keeping with the original VUACC's rule change suggestions
and is a change from the initial APRS rule change implemented in
January. I did not see an earlier notice of this change, so it pays to
read the rules for each contest, even if you have operated them before.

Hats off to the ARRL for listening to our input.

So this should make it easier to keep up with the rovers. It is easy
to get behind schedule when one roves and this will help people to
locate us when we are not where we wanted to be when we wanted to be
there.

On another note, I got the May QST yesterday and the announcement for
the June contest is in a new format. It is more of an advertisement
than a summary of the rules. I hope it gets more people to
participate, but you do need internet access to find out what the
rules are.

Again kudos to those at the ARRL for straightening this out. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey