[VHFcontesting] 432 Spring Sprints

Bruce Herrick bdh at teleport.com
Thu Apr 24 18:26:36 EDT 2008

FN54 - 10 Qs, 3 grids

FN44 - 6 Qs, 4 grids

Score: 112

Gas cost/QSO - $2.81

As Dave K1WHS has noted before, the problem with operating in Maine is that no one turns their antennas east.  For Dave, this is only a problem with the more distant grids.  With the closer stations, he creates his own propagation.  Not so for us puny rovers with 100W and 15 elements.

After reading of the enhancement the previous nights, I decided to travel to Coggans Hill, a superb location in FN54ig.  I couldn't work anyone.  When I found Dave,  we ragchewed for a couple of minutes, which allowed everyone to find me.  He stood by while I worked 8 stations.  On my own, again I was unsuccessful, so I found Dave again, which allowed 2 more Qs to find me.  Heard K1IIG, KW1AM, W1OUN, and K1RZ, but no joy.  Might have worked some of them if my keyer cable hadn't failed.

Decided to move to FN44 after the first lightning and thunder.  N1SV wanted to work me there, but it took me a half hour longer than I expected to get there and I never heard him.  Called CQ on several frequencies; eventually Al, WA1T found me, and directed me to K1TEO, who also is loud enough that it helped others find me.  Special thanks to WA2FGK who persisted through the heavy QSB to give me my best DX in FN21; ditto to N1DPM in FN32.

I headed home about 20 minutes before the end; for the last 10 minutes I was in FN 43 and CALLED on the CALLING frequency to no avail.

I never heard another station on the calling frequency all night.  The calling frequency was established to allow contacts to be made on an otherwise seemingly dead band.  It is not meant for ragchewing.  One can monitor this quiet frequency; if another calls, they can move off and QSO.  During a contest, this is silly.  The contest QSO takes less time than arranging the QSY.  The only purpose of the calling frequency during a contest is to give some folks something to whine about.

73,

Bruce WW1M/R