[VHFcontesting] 48 states 2 meters terrestrial

kevin kaufhold kkaufhold at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 14:22:40 EDT 2008

I want to thank everyone who supplied information back in Feb and March on stations who have worked all lower 48 states on 2 meters terrestrial, or who are close.  I used the information gathered from your e-mails to make a presentation at last week’s CS VHF Conference. That presentation generated still more info, some of which were from contemporaries of VHF pioneers on 2-meters. More info was also generated as a result of W3ZZ’s wonderful write-up of the subject in his July, 2008 World Above 50 MHz column. In all, 50 or more people have provided some info.

I will shortly be adding this new material into a revised Excel file and work-up of the topic. If anyone knows of other stations at 48 states terrestrial, or who are close (down to 40 states), please let me know. Here are the 11 people that I know who have worked the continental US on 2 meters “the hard way”, via terrestrial means only:

W0SD	         SD	Pre-grid; (EN13)
K5CM	         OK	Pre-grid; (EM25)
W0EMS	         NE	Pre-grid; (EN11)
K0ALL	         ND	EN16
K5UR	         AR	EM35
W0RRY / K5BXG	OK	EM26
W5ZN (as WB5IGF)	AR	EM45
WQ0P	         KS	EM29
W7XU	         SD	EN13
N0QJM	         SD	EN13
KM0T	         IA	EN13

Here are others who are known to be close (down to 45 states, but I am keeping track of anyone at 40 + states):

K0MQS	IA	EN31	Missing ID?
K5SW	OK	EM25	Missing OR
K9HMB	IL	EN52	Missing a 7?
W9UD	IL	EN41	Missing CA
WB0DGF	NE	EN10	Missing VT
N0LL	KS	EM09	Missing ME
W0RLI	MN	EN34	CA, NV
KM0A	MO	EM48	CA, WA
N0UK	MN	EN34jv	CA, WA
N0JK	KS	EM17	ME, RI
K2DRH	IL	EN41	CA, OR, WA
W0RT	KS	EN27	OR, VT, RI
W0FY 	MO	EM48	CA, OR, WA
KW0A	MO	EM48	CA, OR, DE
N9LR	IL	EN50du 	CA, OR, WA
KA9CFD	IL	EN40om	CA, OR, WA

I also am looking for anyone on either coast with significant state totals terrestrially. Anyone at 18 or more states in the West Coast or Western states; and anyone at 30 or more states from the North-East or South-East, I want to hear from you! If you know of anybody else that may be close to these totals on MS, tropo, Au, or Es, or simple brute force, please let me know that, too.

On all info reports, the following would be of great help:

-	Call-sign
-	State
-	Grid
-	# of States worked terrestrially
-	Time period of activity / completion
-	Any other interesting historical tid-bits or info

Thanks for all the info received so far.

Kevin
W9GKA
EM58