[VHFcontesting] Confessions of a UHF Novice

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Mon Aug 4 14:00:40 EDT 2008

                     ARRL UHF Contest

Call: N1LF
Operator(s): N1LF
Station: N1LF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM63nf
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   222:   6
   432:  8
   903:
   1.2:   2
   2.3:
   3.4:
   5.7:
   10G:
   24G:
-------------------
Total:  16    47  Total Score = 756

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I have a confession to make. I'm not proud of what I did, but desperate times call for desperate measures. It a fit of frustration during the late afternoon on Saturday, I questioned the logic of the ARRL for choosing 1800Z as the start time for their VHF contests! Mid-afternoon in the middle of summer in Alabama is NOT the time that you want to be in poorly ventilated two car garage cum radio shack. It was hot, the noise on the bands almost unbearable, and every neighbor within 1/2 mile must have fired up their plasma TV's, weed eaters, and other RFI producing devices. Plus propagation was non-existent!

But as usual, the experience was completely fun, and exciting! Local gun big and Southeastern division record holder Jimmy Long, W4ZRZ continued to prove what a class act he is during the contest. Whenever I was attempting to work a station (which can often take awhile) Jimmy would stand by or move to another band, leaving the frequency clear for me. He also puts up gracefully with my "cherry picking" efforts.

I'll usually monitor in Jimmy's direction to see who he is working. Most of the times, it's like eavesdropping on one side of a telephone call...since I have no hope of hearing the other station. But sometimes, they'll be strong enough for me to make them out. I then wait until their QSO is done, but before they start to "run the bands", and I'll drop in a quick call. This has the effect of delaying Jimmy's effort, but he never complains...and is always gracious.

I try not to interfere, and if the station can't make me out quickly, I'll just tell Jimmy to move on. If I'm successful, I usually follow them up the bands to 222, and if they're really strong 1296.

The highlights of the event for me were many. Working W9UM/R in Tennessee for new grids on 222 and 432 was a treat, but the real thrill was when a CQ on 222 was answered by the VERY LOUD W9RVG! New grid on 222 for me. We then moved to 432 to attempt a QSO on that band, and for once, someone actually told Jimmy Long that he'd have to stand by as he was attempting to work N1LF! That never happens!

Our local rover, AF4OD put in yeoman duty again this year, activating EM73, EM72, and EM62. Just like in the June event, he worked hard to try to work me from all three grids, and the contest would be a lot less fun without his efforts.

The other huge thrill was working Craig, K4XR on 1.2ghz, and hearing him comment later to W4ZRZ that he was "amazed at how strong his signal is on indoor antennas!" Thanks for the kind words Craig. Huge fun again for me...can't wait for the August 12th Perseids shower peak, and some long anticipated tropo. Then it's on to September and the Fall Sprints.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf

Les Rayburn, director