[VHFcontesting] 756 ProII and transverters

Bill Burgess ve3cru at rac.ca
Wed Aug 6 01:58:23 EDT 2008

Trusting the ProIII is the same as ProII, look at page 19 of the user manual.  It reads as follows:

When 2 to 13.8 V is applied to pin 6 of [ACC (2)], the [XVERT] jack is activated for transverter operation and the antenna connectors do not receive or transmit any signals.  (p. 13)

While receiving, the [XVERT] jack can be activated as an input terminal from an external transverter.

While transmitting, the [XVERT] jack outputs signals of the displayed frequency at -20 dBm (22 mv) as signals for the external transverter.  End of copy.

Most transverters require at least 0 dBm of signal to produce full output.  The DEM 222 for example does, and comes with an extra MMIC and parts to add a preamp to boost the signal to the required 0 dBm.  Others may not do likewise.
It is therefore important to identify the required drive for your transverter before trying to drive it with any rig.

My 817 is an arms length away from me now, but the manual isn't so I cannot quote from the 817 manual if it also covers transverter operation.  The 817 can be set for 500 mw to 5 watts output on external 13.8 V supply, or max 2.5 watts on internal batteries..  Hope this helps.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU