[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Re: Quick To the Mystery Machine! [The Case of the Phantom Pre-Amp]

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Aug 22 17:30:56 EDT 2008

I have had pretty good luck designing amps using the gamma(optimum)
[noise match] figure when it is provided by the manufacturer along with
the s-parameters. I'm usually pretty close when doing it this way.  And
yes, you are right; if you play with the designs using both the
s-parameters and gamma(opt) you find the maximum gain is not at
the same point for tuning.

Transistors like the MRF966 often don't have the noise matching parameters
in the data sheets, in which case you have to do it with a noise figure
meter.

Most of the newer HJFET's and PHEMT's have the noise match numbers along
with the s-parameters.

73, Zack W9SZ