[VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 3 17:13:45 EST 2008

Hello Jack,
I had been using clamp type N male connectors for many years,  but recently
switched to crimp type N s for LMR-400. I have tested them, and actually
think they are better than the clamp type when used along with a manual wire
stripper. It makes a better cut, and is more uniform with no loosening of
raid as the connector gets flexed . The clamp type are touchy to assemble,
as the braid must be carefully combed out and formed over the internal metal
ring, or the connector works loose over time. Few people are that careful
when assembling those connectors. I get the crimp connectors from RF
Connection in Maryland. Joel also sells a hand coax stripper for LMR-400.
The crimp tool I use is a RF Industries RFA 4005-020 with replaceable jaw
inserts for different cable types. The latest version of this tool is pretty
good. Older versions were not as strong. I broke the first one, but the
latest one has been re designed and looks very rugged for the price. I am
sure there are better ones, but this RFI one is good enuf.  The Crimp
connectors stay tight and have excellent RF properties.
    I do not use the readily available "ham" solder type N connectors that
resemble UHF connectors in their construction/assembly. I found that
soldering them alters the VSWR and phase. They work, but I chose not to use
them for those reasons. For lower freqs they are probably fine.  The RF
Connection LMR-400 crimp connectors have a very nice heavy ring ferrule that
crimps very positively. I have seen others that are much thinner and not as
rugged.

Dave K1WHS