[VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?

Keith Morehouse w9rm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 11:14:17 EST 2008

VE6CPP wrote:
> Only been at this a year or so Jack.. so I am still
> considered a 'Newbie' myself..! I have learned a lot
> from the Pro's..(as I call them guys..) and still
> learning!  I was told to stay away from the Crimp
> Type.. and go with Clamp Type myself!  A lot of
money
> for a tool you may only use a few times.

The commercial cable assembly manufacturers almost
100% use crimp connectors and they are building cables
to service provider and radio OEM specs.  These cables
must pass tests for insertion loss, return loss,
connector pull and sometimes phase matching.  As K1WHS
noted in a previous post, modern crimp sleeve units
are probably BETTER then the clamp connectors.

But, you DO need a tool.  I bought this one for under
$30 for my LMR600 - they may have one for 400, too.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=877

I also use THIS for cable prep, which I picked up on
E-Bay for something like $15:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=882

Crimp LMR600 connectors (male and female) are
available on E-Bay all the time.  Last time I bought a
bunch, I think they averaged out to something like $2
each.  They were *official* Times Microwave
connectors, too.  LMR600 prices are unusually low
because your average 'ham' doesn't know what they are
and can't use them - just like prices for ANYTHING
with a 7-16 DIN connector.  Ever seen what a Heliax 1
5/8 connector can be had for when it has a DIN
connector vs a N connector ??  What a steal.

Jay W9RM
EN52rb