[VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 13:50:25 EST 2008

I wonder the same thing.  Take our grid circle buddies for example.  The winner of the limited rover category had exactly 77 QSOs in each of the 4 microwave bands in which he operated.  Is there any doubt as to how that happened?  Nope.  We all know his log for each band will reveal that he only worked the same small group during the contest.  Posting his actual log will not change that.

The only thing that it might accomplish is to bring to light some other practices.  For instance, its possible that point-hungry stations could be looking through old callsign books and picking out calls they know are not operating in VHF contests.  They could be entering those into their logs because they know there is no penalty for having a unique call in their log.  The people at the ARRL have no way to verify that a QSO was or was not made.  If the logs were public, somebody who knows those stations may call foul.  If there are multiple cases like this, it could be very ugly for those who get caught.

As I write this, I hope I'm not touching a third rail here.  I have no idea if such a practice ever happens or if it does, how common it is.  I would hope its rare at worst.  Making logs public would reveal this pretty quickly.  It wouldn't change a thing about our rover discussion but could heap a lot of shame on unethical stations.

Steve

K4GUN/R