[VHFcontesting] My rover antenna upgrade plan

Jack Isenberg ihi at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 2 07:56:28 EST 2008

Steve,

I think you are on the right track.  In general the antennas are very
important and speed of setup and take down is also very important
since it detracts from operating time.
The only exception I have found is that at least to me, 6 meter antenna is
not nearly as critical.  I have both a 3 el beam and a loop.
I mostly use just the loop.  Setup takes a lot longer with the beam since it
is to wide to travel with it assembled (at least legally).
If the band is open, the loop works just fine if I get it high enough (about
30 feet).  If it is not open, doesn't make much difference anyway.

I have been using telescoping fiberglass tubes and rods from Alan Bond
(maxgain systems) in Marrietta GA.  He also has some quick release
clamps that help.  check it out.
You might want to take a look at my web site.  It is not too current, but
will give you some ideas:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ihi/

One problem I do struggle with is the boom clamps on the mast.  If I get
them tight enough to not slip, sometimes I cant telescope the tubes since
they make the outer tube clamp down on the inner one.
I occasionally have to loosen the clamps, push up the mast, and tighten the
clamps.

good luck
Jack
WA2IID/r