[VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers

Richard Clem clem.law at usa.net
Mon Feb 11 14:02:56 EST 2008

Hi, Bruce.

I've just started uploading stuff to LOTW.  If it's any consolation, I'm also
going off half cocked with my Rover logs!

In fact, I just received my certificate for W0IS/R this morning.  It's my
understanding that I use this certificate for any QSO's with that callsign, no
matter the location.  The location is selected during the signing process.  My
plan is to set one location for each grid square/state combination.  For
example, I'll set one location for EN34 Minnesota, and another one for EN34
Wisconsin.

Last night, I did upload some of my rover QSO's, and I signed them with my
W0IS certificate (not the W0IS/R certificate).  I think the best plan is to
upload each log twice--once as W0IS, and another time as W0IS/R.  I've also
taken to including QSO's twice in my own log.  For example, if I work you and
you're signing W9FZ/0, I'll go ahead and log you once as W9FZ, and another
time as W9FZ/0.  I figure that way, I'll cover all of the bases.

What I did last night to upload one log is to simply take the Cabrillo file
that I uploaded to the contest robot, and then go through it manually and
remove all QSO's that were not in the grid I was uploading.  In this case, I
uploaded EN34 first, so I deleted all lines where I was in another grid.
Then, I saved that log with a name like "2004VHF_EN34ONLY.cbr", and uploaded
it.  I'll repeat the process for other grid/states.

Over the weekend, I also uploaded my logs from the 1977 phone sweepstakes.
Unfortunately, no hits.  And I had a Canal Zone QSO in there, for which I
don't think I ever got a card.  :-(

Anyway, please get your logs uploaded.  I see that I have W9FZ/R in EN34, and
also W9FZ in the Minnesota QSO party.  So far, I have 24 states confirmed in
LOTW, but when you get your logs uploaded, you'll be my first Minnesota QSL.
So please get them uploaded for a new state for me!

73,
Rick W0IS

Message: 4