[VHFcontesting] Reverse Incentive Licensing

specrisk at aol.com specrisk at aol.com
Sat Feb 16 10:59:14 EST 2008

To the list:
In 2009, God willing I will celebrate my 50th aniversary as a ham having been continuously licensed? beginning in 1959 as a Novice - WV2JHR, and in 1960 as a General Class Amateur License? WA2JHR which I have held uninterrupted. I held full amateur privileges until the FCC implemented incentive licensing and removed some HF frequencies to motivate hams to increase their CW speed and upgrade their technical knowledge. I never saw much point in getting my Extra since my interest is really only VHF and up and my General Class Ticket is adequate. A few years back I applied under the Vanity Licensing to drop the A from my call and change the (2 ) to a (1) to reflect my location in the first call area.? My call became W1JHR. My license renews this year in April and I sent in my Vanity renewal in January. The FCC has only granted me Novice privileges on renewal. I was quite surprised to find this out and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I didn't even think that Novice licenses even exist anymore but now I are one. I had planned to rove in the June VHF Contest but now all I have available is 222 MHz with 25 watts. Novice privileges are actually better on HF than on VHF/UHF/SHF as no other bands are available. I was previously QRV thru 24 GHz but I guess I be a single bander now so look for me on 222. This is kind of heavy handed "incentive" licensing and I guess I understand how those "blue haired" ladies feel when they downgrade their driver's licenses to "Daytime only." I guess I have to find a VEC in the area if I really want back on VHF. Don't let this happen to you!
George, W1JHR
Novice Class again after 49 years.