[VHFcontesting] APRS Protocols for SS 08?

Mark Adams, PE msadams at buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:28:54 EST 2008

Hi Gang,

The K2QO/R will be riding high in Jan SS next weekend along with APRS
which is new to us. How will folks monitoring APRS know if a station is
a rover or not? Should the comment section in the setup of my TinyTrak3
say "ROVER" or is there going to be a special SSID after the callsign?
Should rovers gravitate to a particular frequency on 144 to listen for
calls from stations monitoring APRS? Has this all been covered and I
missed it? Inquiring minds need to know!

My APRS is working. I have my unit set for K2QO-9 and you can see my
ride into work from this morning FWIW.

73,
Mark K2QO/R

I have the feeling that once this gets used to some extent, people will
find that HamIM is the better way to go because I cannot find a webpage
with a good view of what stations are where.