[VHFcontesting] Need a repair shop for 1.2GHz module in FT-736R

Larry n1miw at cox.net
Sun Jan 20 22:26:34 EST 2008

     Anyone know who will service this rig/module? I have an issue with the
module when it gets warm. It starts to "unlock'(???) when in transmit; it'll
pulse with what sounds like a CW dit at 5WPM in FM and SSB, and then as it
gets warmer, the pulsing (which I hear on my scanner in FM) increases to
about 10 WPM. I turned the rig over & shot some canned air in a hole on the
frame of the module, and the pulsing quickly stopped. Kind of acts like a
bad frequency drift. Something is obviously heating up, but I don't have the
test equipment to repair this module. It still seems to be transmitting full
power, and I can't verify that the receiver is working. Don't have another
transmitter, and failed to receive stations I tried to work in the contest.
The last I knew, Yaesu will not work on these rigs any longer due to their
age. Can anyone help? TIA...Larry N1MIW