[VHFcontesting] WZ1V results Jan VHF SS

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 22 09:05:50 EST 2008

Subject: ARRL Jan VHF WZ1V Single Op HP

                     ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31mp
Operating Time (hrs): 22

     6:  182    37
     2:  161    31
   222:   64    24
   432:   92    22
   903:   27    11
   1.2:   40    11
   2.3:
   3.4:
   5.7:
   10G:
   24G:
-------------------
Total:  566   136  Total Score = 125,528

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Put in a lot of work to get my home station in shape for the contest,
new 903 and 1296 mast mounted xvtrs, had to replace the rotor due to
a bad windstorm the week before. Results were somewhat disappointing:
 From my perspective in Connecticut, condx. were dismal except
for the short 6M Es opening Saturday. Activity seemed sparse,
especially Sunday. I was largely unsuccessful trying to find Rovers
to work, other than the ones that found me or ones I had skeds with.
Found very few on from a large neighboring club to my south,
and some of those just didn't want to run the bands.
Maybe I just wasn't insistent enough.
Many thanks to those who took the time to work me.
The only equipment problem was Sunday afternoon when my
2M preamp blew. Took time out to repair but blew again, and again!
Wasted about 3 hours in vain trying to figure out what was wrong.
On a positive note, I ran a few WSJT skeds Sunday morning, which
worked extremely well except for one no-show.
The new DEMI mast-mounted transverters worked extremely well.
I learned some from my mistakes, and will have to re-examine and
adjust my strategy a bit. Looking forward to the next contest,
thanks to everyone who participated in this one!
-73, Ron WZ1V, FN31