[VHFcontesting] internet contest

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Thu Jan 24 10:21:46 EST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, George Fremin III wrote:

>> BTW, got a real kick out of the guy saying he was a WI-FI rover, look for
>> my CQ's on 802.11b channel 3! Is that really in the amateur portion of the
>> band?
>> Did anyone work him? Am I missing something here or should we all be
>> looking at how to modify our wireless cards for use with a linear
>> amplifier? CQ Wifi DX! Let me through your firewall pleeze, I promise not
>> to give disease!
>
> It would be fine to make contacts via wifi.
>
> I am not sure what the channel limits are to make sure all
> of your transmissions are in the amateur bands.

Channel 3 is 2422 MHz. This is within the amateur allocations in that
frequency segment.

There were a couple of people who did a presentation at the VHF forum at
Dayton a couple years ago about souping up 802.11b devices and using
large dish antennas to get ranges of over 100 miles. They were operating
within the ham bands.

73, Zack W9SZ