[VHFcontesting] Jan Contest

George Sintchak/WA2VNV wa2vnv at optonline.net
Fri Jan 25 14:36:14 EST 2008

Steve - good going, but you left out the secret high security 2 tin cans
w/string spotter network - whoops, no RF radio here, can't use it.  It
probably won't make the "capable of 1 kM" rule anyway.

The rules are getting kinda complicated with all the possibilities for
helping make a possible contact. After all is said and done (scheduled,
spotted, announced, QSY to freq xx.xx, run the bands, etc), you still have
to make the RADIO QSO exchange to complete the contact. i.e. point/swing the
beam, listen into the noise/QRM, hear/see/decode the info, log it correctly,
and transmit your info back, AND, keep all your equipment running without
blowing it up (what's that resistor burning smell ?!?).  I'm leaving out the
radio(s), tower(s), climbing, coax, antennas, computers and $$$ involvement
you already made to the effort to keep all this working in any type of
good/bad weather. Some people think boating (or fishing, golf, airplanes,
horses, etc - fill in the blank) is expensive - we just have a different
love - or is it an affliction? - are we having fun yet or what?

Not exactly an easy task at VHF/UHF even with help of computer logging -
remember paper logs and dupe sheets that took endless days to review until
you were blind - you know "the good ole days" - hi hi. Technology marches
on. I guess I'm having too much fun keeping all this going. (except when the
logging program crashes)

I was only able to squeeze in ~4 hours of scattered operating time due to
previous family/birthday surprise party (unknown to me) that took up most of
the weekend. However, I did get to check out the many new antennas and
improvements I had made over the past several months since the Sept contest.
My score, Single OP Low Power, 123 Q's 44 grids, total 10076, on 50 thru
2304. Not too bad for 4 hours. Past Jan scores ran 17-19 k points.

73's till the next contest/sprint,

George, WA2VNV, FN30kv