[VHFcontesting] DEMI Transverter with K2

steve kavanagh skavanagh73 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 26 11:51:58 EST 2008

I am considering picking up a pre-owned DEMI 2m
transverter for use with my K2, potentially for rover
contesting.  There are a few questions in my mind as
to the suitability of this transverter....

(1) From the Elecraft list and relay data sheets it
looks to me that the transverter will switch fast
enough to avoid RF hot-switching using the K2/K60XV
transverter keying output without a sequencer.  Has
anyone tried this combination (or K2 with any other
DEMI transverter using the Omron G6Y RF relay with no
sequencer ?)

(2) The Elecraft transverter is specified down to 12V.
 From the schematic and regulator data sheets it looks
to me that nothing is likely to go drastically wrong
until the supply gets down close to 11V.  Though it
might help to not use the PTC crystal heater to avoid
heavily loading the LO regulator.  Has anyone any
experience with its low-voltage (i.e. less than 12V)
behaviour ?

(3) Are there any reliability issues with DEMI
transverters in the mobile environment ?

73,
Steve VE3SMA

http://www.flickr.com/gift/