[VHFcontesting] Icom 7000 vs other HF/VHF/UHF rigs

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Thu Jan 31 10:54:13 EST 2008

Hello to all....I like the IC7000 for roving...it has several features
that work nicely.
1.  All my rover transverters are set up as "max of 10W on 28Mhz IF" for
the input.  We actually adjust them for 5W of 28Mhz.  With the IC7000
you can set the 28Mhz output to 5W and enforce that with the menu
system.  That way when you switch to 28Mhz for the transverters you
can't blow them up.  Certainly, other radios have this feature also.
The most notable ones that do NOT are the IC746's and the IC756's.  This
is a problem, because it is so easy to blow something up.  I use the
transverter port on a 756Pro2 to drive the transverters in one of my
rovers, but because it is a very low level output, you can't blow
anything up, even if you forget and have the RF Power knob up too high.
2.  As mentioned below, the IC7000 has separate keying for HF/6M and
2M/432.  W2ENY makes a special cable that has separate outputs for HF/6M
and 2M/432.  He builds a small isolation relay into the cable so that
the relay voltages and currents of the amplifier won't damage the
radio.  I am fairly sure that the same cable that works for the IC7000
will work for the IC706.  He makes cables for other radios too.  I have
a lot of these in use, because I very much do not like RF hot keying my
amps.
3.  The output on 432 is supposed to be 35W rather than 20W.  I guess if
you are driving an amp, this is not significant, but if you are
barefoot, the extra power might help sometimes.
4.  The RX is better in the IC7000 and the audio is better.

You will have to judge whether or not you think the newer radio is worth
the extra money.  73's Marshall K5QE