[VHFcontesting] RFI and car computer

George Sintchak/WA2VNV wa2vnv at optonline.net
Sat Jul 5 12:42:24 EDT 2008

John, get a 6M handi talkie (Icom T81, etc) and with the car running in
normal operation, search around ALL the wiring, door, dash, trunk, engine,
etc for Rx noise & interference on the bands you want operate. Keying the Tx
will also show if in causes any malfunction of the cars systems. They have
these little computer "boxes" hidden all over the car behind kick panels and
in the trunk walls.

I use a Icom 706 mk2g in my 2000 Toyota, Avalon that has a severe buzzing
noise on multiple frequencies on 144/432 coming from the computers behind
the driver's side dash and the drivers door window control panel. I searched
around with a pickup coil and my spectrum analyzer. No noise problems on HF
bands with trunk lip ham sticks for 40 thru 10M.

I tried ferrite chokes, aluminum foil, even painted the inside of the
plastic enclosures with RF absorbing shield paint. It just seems to radiate
out through the "network" wiring that runs all over the insides. It's not
getting into the radio via the radio cables  - if I unscrew the roof dual
band antenna from the NMO mount, all the noise is gone - so it's radiated
emissions - not conducted through the wiring into the radio. I contacted
Toyota about the problem and no help from them - they are more concerned
with your 100 watt radio messing up the anti-lock brakes and fuel injection
computers, etc. After about 2 years of trying, I basically gave up, and
learned to live with it using PL decode mode on repeaters and on some SSB
frequencies, it's tolerable. So, be forewarned - YMMV. Good Luck.

George