[VHFcontesting] RFI and car computer

Bruce Herrick bdh at teleport.com
Sat Jul 5 13:44:11 EDT 2008

>I contacted
>Toyota about the problem and no help from them - they are more concerned
>with your 100 watt radio messing up the anti-lock brakes and fuel injection
>computers, etc. After about 2 years of trying, I basically gave up, and
>learned to live with it using PL decode mode on repeaters and on some SSB
>frequencies, it's tolerable. So, be forewarned - YMMV. Good Luck.
>
>George

George makes a very valid point here.  All cars have had some sort of ECU since the late 80s, and more micros are being added all the time.  I have never had a problem with my Toyota pickups or my current Honda CR-V, but beware - at least Toyota, and perhaps others, will blame any problems with the car on your installed transmitting equipment - and will void the warranty.  Moral - if the car breaks, remove the gear and don't tell them about it...

My biggest RFI source remains my 10 year old Garmin GPS III.

Bruce WW1M