[VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

Steve Kavanagh sjkavanagh1 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 6 08:21:20 EDT 2008

This June's contest provided (at least on Sunday in this area) an outstanding example of what can happen when 6m is good.  Practically the only stations to be heard on 2m were multi-ops.  Everyone else was on 6m and not paying any attention to the other bands, so CQing on 2m was singularly unproductive.  Since I was running 2 watts to a dipole on 6m, CQing there was also singularly unproductive !

Other rovers may get bigger scores by using skeds or by using the microwave bands (if you are comparing your score with non-limited Rovers) or by meeting other rovers at grid corners.

I find that random rover-to-rover QSOs are very rare, even with stations that I can work reasonably easily.  I think it is just a question of the low probability of the beams being pointed in the right direction at the right time on the same band during the brief periods when both rovers are stationary at good sites.

73,
Steve VE3SMA/R