[VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 10:47:56 EDT 2008

Joe - You wrote, in part: -
		Oh wait -- I think I'm starting to get it now... Nobody told them
I'm there or that they might have to listen 		carefully to dig out my
piddly, weak, little signal...
Allowing APRS on the internet to locate rovers by unassisted single
ops would help this situation a lot, particularly in less populous
areas in contests where there isn't much enhanced propagation. It
would let the single and casual contest ops know where you are
geographically and they might point the beam that way and scan the
band. Write your ARRL director, your division representative on the
VUAC, and the VUAC chair to implement this use of APRS. While you are
writing, you might also ask your director why their Programs and
Services Committee (PSC) chose to ignore VUAC recommendations on
implementing APRS.

You don't say what you are using for equipment or bands you operate.
Being loud on 2 certainly helps when roving. I found that adding one
of the ubiquitous 160W amps to my 25 W out transceiver helped a lot.
If you use an omni antenna, like a HALO, you can significantly improve
your signal with a beam. The WA5VJB cheap Yagis are good performers
and easy to build.

Another problem is that the contests run a long time. There is a
flurry of activity the first few hours, but then, particularly in the
less populated areas, there isn't much incentive for the home based
single op to sit in front of the radio waiting for the rover to  get
to another grid.  Again APRS would help here as well.

You might try the Sprints. I have worked as many stations in a 4 hour
sprint as I have in an entire VHF contest. Still the activity drops
off over those 4 hours, but you can get to 3 or 4 grids in the sprint
and make a decent score for a modest investment.

Here is what I have learned works well to help improve the rover
contacts.

1. Publicize your plans in advance. I keep an e-mail list of those who
I have worked in recent contests and who I will be able to work on 2M
during my rove. I send out an e-mail with grids I plan to work and
when I intend to be there.

2. I try to start at a location near a populous area where I can work
a lot of stations early and let them know I will be on in other grids
during the rest of the contest. That way, they are more likely to look
for you later in the contest. If this area is near a grid square
convergence, so much the better.

3. Pause before QSYing to other bands to let other stations work you.
I am still working on this one. I tend to QSY too early, missing
people. Try to work everyone on frequency before you QSY.

4. Having the capability to operate while in motion will also help. I
am still working on this, but should have it ready for the June
Contest. The more time you spend on the air the more opportunity there
is to make contacts.

Roving varies considerably from one geographic area to another. It is
tough to rove where there isn't much activity. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey