[VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 13:02:16 EDT 2008

Interesting.  Its good to see that others experience a lot of the same things I have.  Being new at this, I sometimes wonder if its just me.  I'm going to ramble on a bit myself and share some things I've been picking up.

1.  "Rare" grids are rare because nobody lives there.  Simple enough, right?  But if nobody lives there, why should a home station bother turning that way?  Sure, if you publicize your route, they'll aim your way ever now and then, but chances are, they'll be calling at the same time you are or will call just after you QSY's with another station.  The other possibility is that you're just beaming the wrong way at the wrong time.  The chances of meeting on the band, even when they are looking for you just isn't that great.  Because of that, they give up and aim to where there are more stations to work.

2.  I should have done a LOT of calling on 6 meters this June.  I did a lot of S&P and caught a lot of grids, but for some reason, I didn't select a frequency and just call for any length of time.  Looking back, I realize that this was a mistake.  I kept going back to 2 meters after I had worked all the 6 meter stations I could hear.  I think I really limited my score due to this.

3.  I shut off my APRS on Sunday afternoon.  It was obvious that the multi-ops were not using it to track me and all it did was cause noise at certain places on the band.  If there was evidence that people actually used it, I would leave it on.  I agree that single ops being able to use this would change roving for the better.

4.  The limited and traditional rover categories should be limited to no more than 10 or 20 contacts with any single other rover.  Its flat out ridiculous to allow a limited rover to have 100 contacts with another rover.  The predictable result is that one headed out with a grid circling pack in CA and I'm sure his score will be astronomical.  I haven't done the math, but if he went with 3 other rovers into the 15 grids they ventured into, I'm sure he could win the category without ever attempting to contact an outside person.  This issue needs addressed.

5.  My future roves are not going to concentrate on rarish grids.  As you illustrate, it isn't worth the time and effort.  My future efforts will be to concentrate on higher ground, closer to population centers.  I want to be in the beam path of the base stations that are looking for contacts.  In my case, that means leaving FM26 and 27 and instead, heading towards New York and New Jersey.  I want to be between the Washington DC stations and the New England stations as much as possible.

6.  I think we rovers need to develop some protocols for frequency use.  I don't know how successful this will be, but if we could all agree on looking for rovers at some pre-determined section of the band, I think we would all be better off.  I know some guys have their listening frequency and that's great for them.  They could still have that and it would still  be useful.  If however, we could keep the big guns off... say 144.220 to 144.240 and reserve it for rover calling, I think we could improve things.

7.  Big gun stations have a hard time coordinating with their own ops.  It was truly amazing.  I would work a multi-op station on 2 meters and follow them to 222 or 432 and could not hear them at all.  I'm pretty sure what was happening was that the other ops didn't aim their beam to the same heading as the 144 guy.  Either that or the 144 beamwidth was so wide and the 432 stack so narrow that they missed me.  It was very frustrating.  This never happened with a single op station.  I would work up the bands with good signal reports on each.  I assume this is because all the antennas are on the same mast and therefore, all pointing directly at me.

This is a good discussion.  I've learned a LOT from my fellow rovers who have come before me.  I learned a few lessons the hard way as well.  I'll be following this closely.

Steve
K4GUN/R

From: "Shupienis, Joseph" <jshupienis at ccac.edu>