[VHFcontesting] Better late than never, K9ZF/R June VHF recap

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Mon Jul 7 10:46:32 EDT 2008

Hello Nate, Dan and all.

I have a similar problem (apparent oscillation & power output) with my
FT897 in the rover on 6m.   When we run 100 watts to a 6m antenna that is
only 8 to 12' away from the radio, its sort of asking for problems.
Connecting the 12vdc feed, a CW keying line, perhaps an external speaker,
the mic cord, not to mention at least two coax, and there is lots of
"antennas" connected to cause susceptibility !   I have found this to be a
problem only on 6m and only from the rover.  I use the exact same radio on
HF mobile, for example the MN and WI QSO parties, with no problem
whatsoever.   The fix that worked for me was to use two ferrite's on the CW
keying line right up tight to the radio.    Also, keep all those "antennas"
like the CW keying line and external speaker as short as possible .... if
you have extra cable do not loop it around in a random way but bunch it all
tightly together and secure that bunch with tape or a tie wrap so as to not
increase the "antenna" size.   Perhaps my CW keyer cable is a quarter wave
on 6m ?

Ah, the challenges of roving !

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R