[VHFcontesting] Interfacing an IC-910H with TE Systems Amp

Tom Carney tomc at carneysugai.com
Sun Jul 13 15:21:48 EDT 2008

Les Rayburn wrote:
> At the risk of enduring public ridicule, I'm going to confess to being completely ignorant of
  the ways of amplifiers. In my ham radio career of nearly 40 years,
I've never once ran an
  amplifier of any kind until now.  But I recently purchased a TE
Systems 1412G to give me more
punch on 2 Meters for weak signal and WSJT work. I will be using this
amp with an Icom IC-910H.
Many have pointed out the dangers of keying the amp via RF switching,
and suggested that I key
the amp directly using the PTT line of the radio.

> Most HF radios that I own have jacks on the rear (ALC) that are dedicated to this purpose. The
  IC-910H lacks this, and I assume that I'll need to use the ACC jack?
But frankly, after reading
  the manual, and re-reading it, I'm stumped.

> Can someone who has used this specific rig with outboard amps please provide information on how
  to best accomplish this? As always, I'm indebted to the members of
these groups who have really
  helped get me started in V/U. All replies are read, printed out, and
placed into folders that I
  refer to often. The advice has literally been invaluable. I'm very
grateful!

> 73,
>
> Les Rayburn, N1LF

Hi Lee

I've interfaced several ICOM radios to external amplifiers.  Even when
the radio has a amp key jack it's usually to wimpy to handle anything
but an ICOM amp.

Here is what I've done with other ICOM radios.  See this link from my
friend K6XX:  http://www.k6xx.com/radio/ic706amp.html
Per the IC-910H manual "send" is on pin 3, however +13 in on pin 7 of
the ACC socket.  You can also pick up +13 anywhere that has a common
ground with the IC-910H.  The manual isn't clear that "send" in the 910
works the same as other ICOM radios but it's highly likely.  I'd
recommend measuring pin 3 to ground before warming up the soldering
iron.  Should be +8 or so in receive, .2 or less on transmit.

73,

Tom  K6EU