[VHFcontesting] Looking for input on multiband VHF/UHF all moderigs

Jerry Siegmund jer.sieg at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 16 00:47:10 EDT 2008

I replied personally to Ellen.. see what you guys think of 'My Reply'!
Hey, Ime 'Old School'!
Sorry Ellen for you getting this Twice..

Ellen, I had an FT-726R that I sold along with Amps for each band, just
before 6M started to open up. I use a TS-440SAT for HF, bought New, and
always thought the TS Line would look Great as in the early 80's Kenwood
Adds! Well, now 25yrs into the hobby, and with E-Bay.. prices have come
down on them considerably! I actually prefer my TS-711, 811, and 660,
670 as Single Band Rigs.. Yes I have a lot of cables running into the
shack, but during the June ARRL VHF/UHF Contest, while everyone was
working the 6M opening.. I heard W5DDR in NM on 2M SSB, worked, then
QSO'd afterwards commenting on everyone was on 6M was missing this
opening! (Thats 1100+mi for me, with 2x13B2's at 25 and 35'.. at 150W Out!)
If your serious about the Higher Bands.. I would either suggest going
with Single Band Rigs.. or at least one of the Newer Ones that you can
monitor 2 or 3 bands at a time! I think most will listen on two bands at
a time.. but I can work a contact on 6M, while still listening on 2M and
70cm at the same time! Works for Me! (looks kinda impressive when the
Non Hams want to see what I am doing till the wee hours of the morning
too!) 73 and Welcome Back to the Upper Ends of the Spectrum!
Jerry VE6CPP
DN39or