[VHFcontesting] On the shoulders of legends...

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Fri Jul 18 12:35:29 EDT 2008

Nearly every morning for the past few weeks, I've struggled in vain to attract the attention of a nearby VHF operator, chatting casually with a small group of friends on 144.200. Usually they meet there, around 6AM, chat for a few minutes, and then move off to 144.180. Since they're listening for each other, and not weak signals at the noise level, even CW has failed to catch their notice. Until this morning.

This morning, I was able to attract that ops attention, and despite poor conditions, work him briefly on 2 Meters. The distance isn't anything to write home about. 208 miles. My signal report was poor. 5 & 2. But the contact was noted in my log with great joy, and the QSL card will proudly be submitted for my hoped for long away 2 Meter VUCC award.

Why?

Because that op lives in EM44. And his name is Rex Turner, W5RCI.

I'm a newcomer to your ranks, but I've "lurked" in the VHF world for over a decade. Subscriptions to CQ VHF, reading every V/U related QST column and article, even buying the CD-ROM sets of QST and Ham Radio, only to learn more about the history of how various paths and techniques were pioneered.

For those who enjoy 222, in particular, Rex Turner's name and callsign stand out. He also helped to pioneer early meteor scatter contacts, and explored long range tropo work. In short, he's a legend...and it was an honor to work him.

My only disappointment was that my 222 gear is still on the bench awaiting repairs, but I hope to have that fixed soon, and work Rex on that band too.

I had similar reactions when I first received e-mails from Marshall Williams, K5QE. How many times had I seen his name on the byline of a VHF article, or printed up in the contest scores in QST? And here is now, offering me technical advice, and taking an interest in my station. Wow!

A couple of weeks ago, my e-mail inbox received a missive from none other than Gene Zimmerman, W3ZZ. Can you imagine? The editor of the "World Above 50mhz" and founder of the Grid Pirates taking time to talk to a newcomer?

One of the best things about finally becoming a "VHF Man" is that it's almost like being a Little Leaguer...only in this game, the major leaguers and yes, even the immortals in Cooperstown can still be worked, spoken to, learned from. As I've said many times about V/U,

"Try that on HF"

Thanks for the QSO Rex. Wow.....

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF