[VHFcontesting] Grid Circling Group & VUAC

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 12:40:52 EDT 2008

Dave - You wrote "Why don't you guys just stop bashing rovers?"

K4GUN, who started this thread is a rover. He is a pretty good one
too. He goes to lots of grids, operates several bands, and replies to
all who call. He goes out in the January and September contests where
there isn't much activity. He doesn't directly coordinate with other
rovers to grid square. He isn't a captive rover. He finishes pretty
high in the regional standings. His complaints are made from
experience, not the desire to bash.

As I interpret his posting, he is concerned that his efforts are
diluted by those rovers who do coordinate with other rovers to grid
square. Although this practice was to be eliminated with the new rule
changes from the limited rover and rover classes, limited and
unlimited rovers can coordinate with unlimited rovers to maximize
their scores using similar techniques. K4GUN doesn't do this, probably
doesn't have the opportunity to do this, and thinks it is unfair to
him when he competes in the same category with those stations that do
this.

Whether or not this is a valid complaint depends on your point of
view. These practices are certainly within the rules. But it is a
complaint about rovers by rovers, not rover bashing by fixed station
ops. K4GUN would just like to see the rules changed to  eliminate what
he considers loopholes in the rules. No bashing.

As to the VUAC, I think they did a good job in revising the rover
rules. The revisions are not perfect, and could use some tweaking, but
they are a significant improvement over what we had.

Your mileage may vary. I got about 2.8 QSOs/gallon in the CQ VHF
contest. :^)=  - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey