[VHFcontesting] V/UHF contesting thoughts

Todd Sprinkmann sprinkies at excel.net
Sat Jul 26 15:04:41 EDT 2008

   Dave N8AG wrote, in part:

  "Why don't you guys just stop bashing rovers?  They don't
compete with fixed stations."

   I'm not sure who in this thread is bashing rovers.  I sure
won't.
I hold rovers in the highest esteem.  We have many great rovers
here in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes, and without them,
contests wouldn't be half as fun.  I go out of my way to praise
and help rovers wherever possible.

   Rovers don't compete with fixed stations, this is very true.
But
why have a "us vs. them" mentality when it comes to contesting?
Instead of thinking of contesting as competition, why not think of
it
in terms of participation, fellowship and cooperation?

   It seems obvious that for a great contest, rovers need other
rovers
AND fixed stations.  Fixed stations need other fixed stations and
rovers
as well.  The more activity there is, and the more every station
strives
to work all (not just a selected few)  stations, the better the
contest.

   When I see these threads about alleged or actual grid circling,
captive rovers and such, I always refer back to the main page of
ARRL
rules for any V/UHF contest.  Instead of getting bogged down in
procedural details and looking for a loophole to exploit, we'd all
be
best served by remembering the following:

   "1.  Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many
different
2 degrees by 1 degree grid squares as possible using authorized
frequencies above 50 MHz."

    If a contest station -- whether fixed or rover -- is adhering
to this
simple, fair and worthwhile concept, then there is no controversy.

   I will support these types of stations 100% and enjoy working
them
every contest.

   If a station is not adhering to that primary objective -- again,
it is the
VERY FIRST stated principle in any ARRL V/UHF contest -- then
they are outside the spirit of the contest, and others may very
justfiably subject them and their methods to scrutiny and yes,
perhaps
even criticism.

   The vast majority of contesters abide by the overall spirit of
that rule.
Congratulations to the 97-98%!

    73,
   Todd  KC9BQA  EN63ao     50 thru 2304