[VHFcontesting] ARRL Rover VUCC Award

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jul 27 22:17:06 EDT 2008

I love the idea of a VUCC for rovers, perhaps something similar to the "reverse VUCC" currently being offered by one of the clubs. While such an award might not fix the problems associated with roving as it applies to contests, it would certainly add some incentive for more folks to get out there and give out grid squares.

In my own situation, it would be most welcome. Right now, I'm chasing VUCC for all bands, 6-1.2ghz. I've worked enough on six to qualify for the award, but only 31 grids so far on 2 Meters. While I'd love to rove in a contest, and even have the equipment and antennas to do so, it's almost self defeating. On the chance that there is an opening during the contest, I lose out on any chance to better my VUCC status unless I remain at home.

But if there was a "Rover VUCC" award, I could pursue that award, and not be disappointed if a band opening occurred while I was away from home. Also, I travel a lot on business (going on an extended Route 66 trip and up to the Democratic National Convention in August). I'll certainly take a 6, 2, and 432 radio, and work as many folks as possible, but I'd be motivated to take a more serious station if I could gain award credits.

As it is, roving is a selfless activity, and it's no wonder that stations go to such extraordinary lengths to try to win competitions. The "cost-reward" factor simply isn't high enough unless you're competitive. Having a Rover VUCC Award would help to change that.

I'm always grateful for any rover, since otherwise, many of those grids might be otherwise impossible for me to work. But with gas prices being what they are, any incentive is worth exploring.

I hope the league is listening.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf