[VHFcontesting] Antenna recommendations for Rovers

Glen Overby goverby at charter.net
Sun Jul 27 23:00:59 EDT 2008

Joe Serocki asked:
> I am looking for recommendations for antennas for Rovers. I like the stuff
> from Bill Olsen for the lower bands, but he does not do 33cm and up, and I
> am in need.. I am not sure about loop yagis, do they handle the wind load of
> roving OK? I have heard rumors both ways.

I have Directive loopers on 902-3456 (3318LYRM, 2324LYRM, 1345LY, 945LY).
While I can't tell you how they perform above 70mph on the highway (*SMILE*),
I can assure you that the loops have survived 70mph with a headwind, and 70mph
with a crosswind.  I don't think I've ever had a tailwind when roving :)
And they've survived blasts of trucks passing me.

I've found that bent loops are usually due to other things, like other
antennas, coax for other antennas, arms reaching across loops for things, etc.
Maybe a rock or two?  I've been lucky and have not bent any loops on a bridge.
I have not tried a pressure washer on the loopers yet, but there have been
some January contests where the car and antennas were so full of salt and crud
that it was tempting to drive the whole rover into the self-serve bay at the
car wash.

I have pictures of my rover setup in some ARRL soapboxes and on my web site at
  http://reality.sgiweb.org/overby/

Glen, kc0iyt