[VHFcontesting] Perspective

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:39:17 EDT 2008

Let me try to put things into perspective for those who whine about the whining about grid circling or team roving.  Someone used the word ecosystem, and that a good analogy here. All our scores and activities in perusing these scores affect each other in some way.

It is difficult to decipher intent, spirit, hard written rules and the spirit of the contest from so many perspectives.  As with human nature many don’t like to hear the chatter or discussion and become tired of it until a controversy directly affect him.  A lesson learned by many Germans.  Some may be loosing common sense to the letter of the law.

Some are offering passes for those who use controversial but technically legal methods to inflate their scores with "QSO’s of no real consequence" in the VHF plus community.  (IE a "QSO of no real consequence"  means you don’t fill the pages of QST with barnyard QSOs on 50 mhz to  10 ghz.).  You let it go because it does not effect you directly.

Grid circling in several rover classes is an offensive tactic of making ones score higher than another and is allowed by a void between the intent of  VUAC and the Rules posted by the ARRL.

Lets consider a defensive tactic I heard this was done before but I have no proof and wouldn’t throw out a callsign to make things worse.

What if as a team we send people out there as rovers or portables or form a secret pack of home stations  to make QSOs with certain individuals, but then not enter them into our logs.  Or only enter select people in our logs. The result would be a defensive ploy to lower other people scores as compared to ours via penalties accessed to our competitors log by the ARRL.

People would cry foul and the perpetrators and the unaffected would say, there is no rule against forgetting to enter a QSO into a log.  There is no rule saying who you put in your log.

People would say it’s implied by the spirit of the rules that you work as many as possible and one would assume you log them as well. Others would say who are you to force a practice on another competitor?

Its not a problem until they come for me.

K3uhf