[VHFcontesting] Rover feedback for K4GUN/R

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Mon Jul 28 19:03:42 EDT 2008

<snip>
Perhaps it would help to get an idea what other rovers are doing as far as
contacts with other rovers.  In June, I made 251 QSOs.  Of those, 13 were
with other rovers.  This was as a Limited Rover.  That's just over 5% of my
total QSO count.  I would be very curious to hear what the others are
doing.  Those of you who have more experience than me, what is the absolute
maximum number of times you could imagine contacting other rovers without
going as part of a group?  What is your log showing?  Is it 10 to 20
percent?  Am I low?
<unsnip>

Hi Steve.  You ask a very fair question.   Without diving into my logs,
just working from memory (??), I think the number of other rovers that I
work varies significantly from contest to contest.   The highest number of
fellow rovers that I work is probably with Rovermania, or the ARRL UHF
contest.   In this part of the country we do not grid circle, nor team
rove, but its not unusual to encounter another rover at a grid corner ....
I think my last UHF contest soapbox shows me running into WA0VPJ/R in such
a situation.  When this happens are we going to work each other ?  You bet,
but we are operating independently and not in a coordinated way.  Its also
possible that one of us may move to the next grid and we work again, but
that is usually it.   I am always aware of the other rover routes and often
go looking for them ... W9FZ/R and KC0IYT/R are two other guys that I go
looking for.    As a ten band rover, when I work another eight, nine, or
ten band rover, it doesn't take long to get into the 30 or 40 QSO level
simply because I go looking for them, not that I can wave at them.   On the
other hand, during the June contest, I probably work fewer rovers.    So
for Rovermania it may be around 40 or 50% rovers, but for other contest
like the June contest it may be 5%.   When I work those Rovermania rover
its typically, but not always, at range just like working a fixed station.

This is simply one rovers view and how we typically operate in the upper
Midwest where we have fairly good activity levels with both fixed stations
and rovers.   Operating style and methods vary greatly from California to
Maine, from North Dakota to Texas.   Despite this, rovers are one key to
activity and we need to encourage them !

Hope this helps.   I have read through most of the emails on this subject
since returning from Central States and I think the comments from fellow
VUAC reps W4KXY and K1JT are spot on.   I have not read a comment or a
suggesting that wasn't discussed by the VUAC during our work on this
subject.   We need to remember that we do not want to be exclusive, we want
to generate activity, have fun, and allow for a way for all to compete as
best possible.

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R