[VHFcontesting] Why do I rove? Let me count the ways ...

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 29 10:41:07 EDT 2008

comments mixed in........

John D'Ausilio wrote:
> 1. It's fun

Absolutely!
> 2. I like building stuff, rovers require lots of building

Yep, same here.  I also play with QRP and kits and such.
> 3. I like driving around

Yep.
> 4. Coastal tropo

I wish!
> 5. Working Jeff on 10 bands in under 3 minutes

I wish!
> 6. It's fun

Even with just 3 bands:-)
> 7. I like trying to explain to police officers what I'm doing in that
> cemetery at 2:30AM in Louisa, VA

Man, that sounds familiar!
> 8. I love the slack-jawed look I get from passengers in passing cars
> when I'm traveling in the Jitney

Yep, as long as they don't swerve toward you while staring....
> 9. Ditto from people on front porches in certain parts of West By God Virginia

And the blue grass and Hoosier state.
> 10. I like explaining that I'm not tracking
> thunderstorms/birds/babyseals/whatever

You left out Bigfoot, UFO's,  and the energizer bunny:-)
> 11. It's fun

Always the most important...
> I started ignoring contest results outside of my own little universe,
> which consists of all the other mid-north east coast independent
> rovers, when the first grid-circling scores started coming out. If
> your goal is to game the contest, more power to you and have fun doing
> it. My main competition is W1RT/R .. my goal is always to have a
> better rove than the previous ones and to continue to modify/add/hack
> on stuff to that end. I've rebuilt the Jitney from the ground up twice
> now, and I'm pretty happy with my handiwork (if I may say so :) ..
> evidently I'll never be competitive from the standpoint of ARRL
> standings, but I really don't give a crap at this point. As long as
> I've got the time and the cash I'll keep it up, and when those run out
> hopefully I'll find a kindred spirit to take it all off my hands ..
>
> de w1rt/john

My goal is to be "competitive" in my section.  With all the big hitters
out east, I'm just another little pistol:-)  In time I'll get back on
222, which will be a major step forward.  I don't think I will ever be
back up to where I once was, however.  I just can't afford to hit 10 and
12 grids at today's gas prices, but I'll do the best with what I have.

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269