[VHFcontesting] Controversy

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 11:03:16 EDT 2008

That may well be the case.  These guys may just be better at this than the rest of us and if so, more power to them.  I simply think operating as a team places them in a different category than the rest of us.

James made a similar argument when he discussed the point differential within the fixed stations.  Again though, the fixed stations are not operating as teams.  When a SOLP has double the points of the 2nd place guy, its because he has better antennas, better gear, better location, more devotion to stay up late, better operating skills and more modes than the other guys.  He's better because he does the things an amateur should be rewarded for.  Its not because he operates in conjunction with other amateurs.

I also want to reiterate that I don't begrudge the individuals.  They are following the rules.  They violated the spirit of them, but stayed well within the letter.  The blame is with the rules themselves as they encourage the exact practice they tried to prevent.  That can be fixed.  I hope it will be.  If not, it will not keep me from participating and doing so enthusiastically.

Steve
K4GUN/R

From: Dave Agsten <w4txs at yahoo.com>