[VHFcontesting] APRS in June, and K9ZF /R Plans

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Sat Jun 7 13:43:16 EDT 2008

Not this time out.  I had hoped to have an APRS capable station for this
contest, but didn't make it.  Maybe in September:-)

I will be working the "usual 4" grids.  I'm planning to start the
contest in EM69, catch EM79 Saturday evening, start Sunday morning in
EM68, and head for EM78 sometime in mid-morning to afternoon.  I'll stay
with EM78 until the evening, which wraps up the contest here.

Just 4 grids this time.  As someone else was pointing out, with gas at
$4.15/gallon here I just can't afford to hit more.  If things were
different, I would hit at least 6 or 8.

On a positive note, I finally have the K9ZF 'no budget' Rover station
back up to par.  Only 3 bands, but I should have a strong station on each;

6m-   FT897D, 100 Watts, Moxon at ~27'
2m-   FT897D, 160 Watts, 10 ele at ~21'
432-  FT897D, 100 Watts, Big M2 Yagi at 24'

Logging and voice/cw keying by RoverLog.  I may even try some WSJT
Saturday evening, although I have been off the digital modes so long I
may have forgotten how:-)

Will have plenty of pics of the newly outfitted K9ZF 'no budget' Rover
after the contest.  Last time out it seems like I spent more time taking
pics than making QSO's!  Hopefully that will change this time out:-)

Today's Rover Tip:    Bring along your MP3 player.   Most of them have a
neat "voice recorder" function.  This is a great way to log those random
QSO's while in motion safely.  Just don't forget to speak the date,
time, and band info!   This is when I catch most of my FM contacts.

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269