[VHFcontesting] KLM Echo 70 help

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 9 21:33:41 EDT 2008

Hi Everybody,

I have an ancient KLM Echo 70 I'm desparately trying to get going for this weekend's contest.  It has output on transmit, but has no audio on receive.  As you know, there is no service manual for this radio, and the owners manual, in some ways, is more like an oversized brochure, than a user's manual.  I know that some of you have some experince with this antique.  So, before I try to trace the signal chain from the antenna connector to the audio chain on a scope, I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas as to what could be the culprit?

Also, I know these rigs were used as part of an OSCAR system.  Was there a wire that was cut to do so (so it could work duplex with say, the Echo II)?  There are a couple of wires that are cut.  One is a red and white wire that feeds into the PC board, next to the T/R relay.  The other is a gray wire that feeds from a col bank the has CV171, CV172, CV701, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73,
Ellen - AF9J