[VHFcontesting] N1BUG FN55 update

Paul N1BUG paul_n1bug at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 09:03:43 EDT 2008

Sorry... another change of plans! I think I'm getting the message I am
not meant to work this contest!

I will honor the contest skeds that were made. If we have a sked, I will
be there!

However, other than that my activity will be rather limited. I will
instead be devoting my time to recovery efforts. Either my tower or
house took a direct lightning hit Tuesday night. All I know for sure is
lightning itself came inside the house and the tower appears to have
been an entry or (partial?) exit point, judging from evidence left
behind. It was THE most frightening thing I have ever experienced!!! All
equipment was disconnected but still suffered moderate to heavy damage.
Incredibly the transceiver seems to be OK. I have been able to repair
the amplifier. The 6 meter antenna is not on the tower that was involved
and is OK. Several ham accessory items and most of my computer
networking stuff (DSL modem, DSL splitter, router, wireless access
point) were less fortunate, ending up on the floor in charred fragments
(some fragments unrecognizable)! Both computers were heavily damaged.
I've just kludged together something from spare parts and will now
attempt to see if data can be recovered from the old hard drives.

Good luck to all. Always remember to respect the power of nature! Be safe!

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf