[VHFcontesting] Post-Contest Grid Square Queries

Chet, N8RA chetsubaccount at snet.net
Tue Jun 17 21:17:42 EDT 2008

I don't think there is any blanket objection to using technology or the
internet during contesting.
It's a question about the nature of the "assistance".

E.g. for a single op:

If I go to qrz.com to look up the direction of a station I am hearing-
that's OK, no different than thumbing thru the callbook.

If I look at an internet map of the aurora oval to see what's going on-
that's OK.

If I look at a list of station calls and frequencies being spotted by
someone else, that is not OK.

If I go to ping jockey and see who is calling CQ or me or how much of my
info they've heard already, that is not OK.

If MY spectrum sweep shows a new blip and I tune there, that is OK, it's MY
use of MY receiver.

If someone stops by on frequency to "help" me by telling me that rare
station XYZ is on frequency ABC, thank you for the thought, but that is not
OK for me to use that info.

If a person tells me on the phone (or via his APRS) during the contest that
he is now in grid MNO, then that is not OK.

But some of these would be OK for a multiop station.

Chet, N8RA