[VHFcontesting] 6m: Feast or Famine?

Joker dwhaley at mc.net
Wed Jun 18 16:11:52 EDT 2008

I say keep 6m in the June Contest. The last couple of all band VHF tests
had very little propagation on 6m (EN52) so the locals were worked very
quickly and the rovers were able to work as scheduled and then focus was
switched to the higher bands once you worked the locals. This contest
had multiple periods of Es changing (at least in EN52) direction every
so often. It was hard to get off of 6m because of the number of grids
that could be worked. Just when you thought the opening was over and
could focus on 2m or above, propagation would change to a different area
revealing more treasure to be had. A vicious cycle to be sure. Most of
the locals used 2m and up during the last 2 hrs of the test to work any
stragglers. Unfortunately, the stations I would have worked in the
beginning (had 6m not opened) were no where to be found by this time.

Dave NT9E
McHenry Co. Grid Rats