[VHFcontesting] Portable in rare grid squares

Kutzko, Sean, KX9X kx9x at arrl.org
Wed Jun 18 17:57:32 EDT 2008

Hi, Kelly-

The newly-created Fred Fish Memorial Award, sponsored by ARRL, is offered to any ham who confirms all 488 grids in the 48 contiguous United States. A very dedicated group of VHF'ers did some analysis and determined what the "rare ones" are of the 488.

You can find an extensive explanation of their research at http://www.arrl.org/awards/ffma . W5WVO also wrote an article discussing this topic recently in CQ-VHF magazine.

For more specific info, you might want to join the FFMA Yahoo group. There are many folks there who can help answer questions about rare grids, how to mount a Grid DXpedition, and lots of other topics related to operating from a rare grid in the US. You can find them at:

I hope this helps.

73,

Sean Kutzko KX9X
Contest Branch Manager
ARRL - The national association of Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington, CT  06111 USA
(860) 594-0232
email: kx9x at arrl.org