[VHFcontesting] Single Operators, Ethics, and 6 Meters

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:57:53 EDT 2008

Sean, et. al:

I agree most if not all contestants know what "is ethical or not." It is their choice to be ethical.

Those who know me know I "live, breathe and eat 6 Meters." #3 behnd family and job.

Glad to see 6 Meters will remain in the ARRL VHF contests.

 - N0JK> Hi folks-> > First off, let me preface this entire note by saying that my job is to help administer the rules as written and help everyone follow them by offering interpretations and ARRL policy.> > Let's take a look at the rules that are on the books:> > >From "General Rules For All ARRL Contests:"> > "3.10. The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example, Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest period is not permitted."> > "3.14. In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your own station or requesting another station to spot you is not permitted."> > >From "General Rules For All ARRL Contests Above 50 MHz:"> > "2.1. Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, spotting, and logging functions as well as equipment and antenna adjustments."> > "2.1.3. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) is not permitted."> > Internet sites where call signs, frequencies, or locations are given are not compatible with a Single-Operator entry. If you choose to visit such sites during an ARRL VHF contest, you should either submit your log as a Multi-operator entrant (where spotting assistance is allowed) or as a checklog (which is very much appreciated). On the other hand, Internet sites that provide information on propagation or weather conditions (and do not provide call signs, frequencies, or locations) may certainly be used by all stations.> > As far as ethics go, I really can't add much to what has already been said. We're all given free will; you can do whatever you like, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions. Are you willing to do anything that could damage your personal reputation or be shunned on the bands, or possibly be prohibited from participating in future contests? I have a feeling most people know what's ethical and what's not. Something to ponder: if you're engaging in an activity during a contest over which you'd call "foul" if engaged in by your competition, you might want to reconsider that activity.> > Six meters is a fickle mistress; she will give you everything you wish for and more...when she feels like it. Successful VHF contesters know how to adapt to the conditions given them and make the best of the opportunities. There are three ARRL "VHF" contests every year; six meters generally does not shine her lovelight on all of them.> > I don't see six meters being eliminated from ARRL VHF contests anytime soon.> > One possibility for those who do not like six meters and want to use spotting assistance is to enter as a Limited Multi-op. You get your choice of four bands; nowhere does it say six meters HAS to be one of your choices.> > 73,> > Sean Kutzko KX9X> Contest Branch Manager> ARRL - The national association of Amateur Radio> 225 Main Street> Newington, CT 06111 USA> (860) 594-0232> email: kx9x at arrl.org