[VHFcontesting] APRS in the June contest

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 13:34:31 EDT 2008

I had APRS for most of the VHF contest and I'm pretty sure it did absolutely no good for me.  None of the big gun stations seemed to be using the data to aim their antennas my way.  Even after reaching them on 2 meters, I had a bugger of a time getting them on 222 or 432 and if they had been using the APRS information, they could have aimed right on me.

On the down side, the Tiny Tracker that I was using, made a horrible beeping noise at random intervals on both 2 and 6 meters.  I'm a bit baffled by how it did this on 6 meters, but as soon as I unplugged the unit, it was gone.  I finally gave up on APRS on Sunday afternoon.

So what's the deal?  Did I not have it programmed right or is this just a case of nobody taking the time to use it?  Based on this contest, I am unlikely to use it again in the future.

Steve
K4GUN/R