[VHFcontesting] distance scoring

kr7o at vhfdx.com kr7o at vhfdx.com
Fri Jun 20 16:50:09 EDT 2008

True, but there is no incentive (aside from a Q point and personal
pleasure) to work more than one station in each DX grid.  Once I have the
grid, 20 additional contacts with that grid are the same value as 20
contacts in my own grid.  I think distance scoring would be
interesting.  Implementing it can be a challenge.  I wouldn't want to see
an existing contest changed to distance, but it might be fun to have a
"contest within a contest" scored by distance.  For most stations it would
probably have no change in their operating tactics (aside to not give up so
easy on the weak guys).

Distance scoring will not create a level playing field (a VHF WRTC is
probably the closest thing level).  The winners on a distance scored
contest will probably shift though (at least temporarily, until the normal
players move to a more advantageous location).  A big gun a couple hundred
miles outside the corridor (K1WHS) will likely clean up.  A perfect example
is the 10GHz and up contest, the guys in Mexico always win because every
contact they make is 500-1000km (depending on where they are operate
from).  What about those of us that are EME capable, that will surely skew
the results.

At 02:17 PM 6/20/2008 +0000, k4gun at comcast.net wrote:
>The current grid multiplier system rewards distance contacts anyway.

>Steve

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o at vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)