[VHFcontesting] Distance Scoring

Gabor Horvath ve7dxg at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 21 18:50:06 EDT 2008

The purpose of distance scoring is not to "level the playing field", but to work DX and to make real weak signal QSOs.
I think the IARU Region I VHF Contest is an example worth following.
These guys do a 2m only contest where they exchange report, serial number and 6 digit grid. In other words there is actually some skill required to copy it all as opposed to copying a (usually) already known 4 digit grid square. By making the QSOs longer it also eliminates the "I just sit on .200 and pick'em up real quick" mentality.
This is the 2006 result summary. http://vkvzavody.moravany.com/zavody/vhf2006/eu/lx.htm
If you click the callsign you get the error log.
Also, note the average points/QSO. I'd say it's around close to 300km. I drew a 300km circle from my QTH on Google Earth. I hardly ever get outside of it, and I have an excellent QTH.
Gabor, VE7DXG