[VHFcontesting] On the A270-10s Was: Compact VHF+ beams

Alex kr1st at amsat.org
Wed Jun 25 16:05:37 EDT 2008

steve d wrote:

> I have resorted to using my Cushcraft A270-10s for 2m/70cm

Just a word of caution on these beams.

I have two of these beams. These antennas work on two meters just fine, but
they do nothing on 432 MHz other than presenting a decent load for your rig.
The 70cm portion of the A270-10s is only good for above 440 repeater work. I
checked the pattern of both my beams on 432 and found that the pattern is
almost omni directional, with a main lobe almost 90 degrees of the main lobe
of the two meter portion. Even the main lobe of the 70cm portion of this
beam has less gain than my homebrew 4 stack loops
(http://kr1st.com/70cmstack.htm).

Even when I stacked both beams it was useless on 432. Just for giggles I put
one beam horizontal and one vertical and used a wooden mast just to make
sure the steel mast I had been using wasn't influencing the pattern. Sure
enough the vertical beam exhibited the pattern you'd expect above 440 MHz
(more like 446+) and it made for a great repeater antenna, but on 432 the
antennas became useless. A simple 432 dipole will outperform these beams.

Note that Cushcraft specifies 440-450MHz for the 70cm portion.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com