[VHFcontesting] IC-706 Cross Mode Operation

Tom Mayo n1mu-vhf at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 16:27:43 EDT 2008

Folks,

We had some trouble again this contest.  As a rover, we don't have a
lot of muscle on 144, 222, and 432.  We need to resort to CW to get
through to big high power multi-ops who are calling on USB.

This is where the trouble comes in.  If you want to RX on USB (in the
radio's CW mode) on the '706, it seems that you have to go to CW-R
mode, tune by 800 Hz, then adjust the IF filter counterclockwise to
actually hear the other station.  Even worse, I think the other
station then has to use RIT to even hear your CW.

Does anyone have a better solution for this?

Please don't reply if you're going to recommend "use higher power",
"get longer beams", or something else like that.

Thanks!
Tom.

--
Tom Mayo - N1MU